Allergens such as dust mites, pet dander, mould, smoke and pollen can create havoc with your health. So creating an allergy free home is essential.
Here are a few tips to help you rid your home of these harmful allergens.
Mould can be the biggest problem for allergy suffers in the kitchen, caused by a build-up of humidity or standing water. Leaking taps, if not fixed, can cause mould to grow underneath the sink and on the walls and floor around the dishwasher.
Make sure that you have good ventilation in your kitchen. Particularly an exhaust fan to remove steam from cooking. Keep all surfaces clean and dry. Lastly, empty water from the drip pan under the fridge.
Mould is also a problem in the laundry where the humidity can be high. Especially if you use a tumble dryer or leave clothes to dry in your laundry. Your best solution for preventing mould growing in your laundry is to install an exhaust fan to vent damp air to the outside.
The biggest source of humidity in your home is usually the bathroom, so an exhaust fan that vents to the outside is essential. Also, make sure that all towels, rugs or curtains are kept clean and dry. Since damp materials encourage mould to grow.
- Mould resistant paint is another essential in your bathroom.
- Replace shower curtains regularly (or put them in the washing machine).
- Towel dry the shower or tub after every use to prevent the growth of mould.
4. Living rooms & bedrooms
Rather than mould, the problem in your bedroom can be dust mites. So consider buying dust mite proof bedding (mattress covers, pillows and quilts), and vacuum your mattress regularly using a HEPA filter.
For both the bedrooms and the living areas, make sure to wash curtains frequently. Thoroughly dust all hard surfaces, and replace any carpets with timber or tiles. Keeping pets out of the bedroom is also a good idea if you have an allergy to pet dander.